Agreement Establishing the World Trade Organization
Decision on Certain Dispute Settlement Procedures for the General Agreement on Trade in Services
Decide to recommend that the Council for Trade in Services
at its first meeting adopt the decision set out below.
The Council for Trade in Services,
Taking into account the specific nature of the obligations
and specific commitments of the Agreement, and of trade in services,
with respect to dispute settlement under Articles XXII and XXIII,
Decides as follows:
1. A roster of panelists shall be established to assist in the
selection of panelists.
2. To this end, Members may suggest names of individuals possessing
the qualifications referred to in paragraph 3 for inclusion on
the roster, and shall provide a curriculum vitae of their qualifications
including, if applicable, indication of sector-specific expertise.
3. Panels shall be composed of well-qualified governmental and/or
non-governmental individuals who have experience in issues related
to the General Agreement on Trade in Services and/or trade in
services, including associated regulatory matters. Panelists shall
serve in their individual capacities and not as representatives
of any government or organization.
4. Panels for disputes regarding sectoral matters shall have the
necessary expertise relevant to the specific services sectors
which the dispute concerns.
5. The Secretariat shall maintain the roster and shall develop
procedures for its administration in consultation with the Chairman
of the Council.
Continue on to Decision on Trade in Services and the Environment